[Byzantine Bindings]

Thursday 9 November 2017

'Write what you want', he said...

be still
know I am God
know that I am with you
know that I am is sending you
silence


there is no myth here
no story to revive and revise
just the essence
coming into the light
the fire
the sand
shoes off now
should I kneel
fall on my face
no time now
silence roars from the flames
something happened
nothing has changed
everything is different
what now

A Shepherd’s Life

tending the flocks that will never be mine
dreaming of camp fires and singing red wine
clanking of awkward rung bells
old and familiar smells
no one believes in a trick of the eye
how can I tell them they’ll say it’s a lie

but something happened out here in the cold
something more precious than silver and gold
awkwardly seeking my bones
grinding the truth with their stones
speaking in tongues in the fire and the flame
drawing me inward to join in the game

lost in the dreams of the moon and the stars
carrying bundles and counting the scars
flashing quickness of the blade
in the manger where he laid
out across the desert in the morning
comes the dreadful angel with her warning

hosannahs from the highest heavens call
bring news that God is something very small
tangled in an earthen web
joined forever in the ebb
can it be that God is leaving heaven
can I taste it here within this leaven

now before the morning star is risen
shaking off this old and dusty prison
letting go the iron bars
finding truth among the stars
walk the trails that many trod before me
resting neath the tree that harbours angels