[Byzantine Bindings]

Thursday 23 February 2017

Taming the Headband

The thing is there are too many variables for me. There's the thread, weave, tension, newness of it all and having no idea what I'm doing. The biggest problem of course is that every time I get it wrong that's another book spoiled, though thinking about it, I could always undo the last one.

I decided to eliminate a few of the variables and go for something that would get me into the weaving rhythm. I made a jig to simulate a book and it worked well. At least now I have some idea of what it looks like and the rhythm of the pattern.

I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence here - just hoping it might help other beginners.

Jig
This is the jig with the back and front below. I can undo and redo it a few times now and then give it a go on the book. I know it will be a different matter but at least I will have a bit more of an idea.

Back

Front