[Byzantine Bindings]

Sunday 12 June 2011

what's new...


"I think it's beginning to dawn about the 'live' business... what I learned when I first started on this journey about 10 years ago was that 'I' needed to be in the work - not enough to 'paint' something and hang it on a wall, 'sculpt' something and stick it on a plinth - 'install' something and - well you get the idea.. 'I' need to be in it - there seems to be something about 'me' that completes the work in a way that can't be any other way and yet it's not acting that I'm about  nor is it live art - or maybe it is... That's why the recording of something can only ever be a trace, and why the interaction with people is the point of doing the journey...
I only know this lot sounding it out with you, now... which is somehow paradoxical because 'you' aren't 'here' and we aren't 'live'... it's v. confusing!"
Now I'm left wondering what all the " ' " marks mean?