[Byzantine Bindings]

Wednesday 22 June 2011

On Language…

maybe words are not to be trusted…

I may think I mean what I mean to say when I say it
but certainly cannot trust that you will know what I mean
when I think you know what I think I mean.
or
I may be very confident that I know what I think I mean when I say it
but cannot be confident of the fact that you will know what I meant when you hear it
but
Andy Murray won the other day didn’t he?
and
'is the coalition winning the war on terrorism?' might be a different question.

On Monday the lady in the shop said, I’ll bring your sandwich over when it was ready
but
maybe I don’t hear so good these days.

Maybe there is something behind language - like a engine ticking over keeping it all going - like background radiation.

Some say language is all we have - I am not sure..
Slowing down and listening with a watchful tender eye...

In speech misunderstood
In silence unheard
In the allotment
I am
at the heart of the matter
using coronary language
establishing a beat
a pulsing
a pattern
a rhythm
a growing
a living
a dying
decaying
I am
allotted
another vision
of understanding
unable to articulate
seeking expression
manifestation
using the language I mistrust.

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
Edward Hopper (here)